Monday, March 24, 2008

A Look Back at the Opening Weekend

Another great opening weekend, already looking forward to next year, soooooooo far away. My upset picks did not come in, that was ugly. Three games that I thought could be really fun to watch at the end just ended up being total blowouts. Thursday afternoon was a bit slow with good games, but Friday afternoon turned it on, similar to last year.



Best Game

The obvious choice here is Western Kentucky/Drake on Friday afternoon but there was another game going at the same time that I thought was just a bit better, Davidson vs Gonzaga. Stephen Curry put on an amazing show.




Worst Game

This has to be a game that I expected to be good or at least interesting and that award goes to Stanford/Cornell. Cornell coming in as one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the nation couldn't make a shot, their 7 footer got 3 early fouls and they had no answer for anything Stanford did on the offensive end.


Coaching Blunder

Tie between Trent Johnson and then the assistant who took over after Johnson got tossed midway through the first half. Stanford got it going in the 2nd half dumping the ball inside and dominating the paint with the Lopez twins, but around the thirteen minute mark and with a 6 point lead, both exited the game. They didn't return ti the 7:30 mark with a six point deficit. I would think Johnson was texting someone on the bench with a "Wtf wtf, get them back in!" Brook Lopez bailed them both out at the buzzer though.


IU managed to look about as bad as possible in their first round matchup with Arkansas, now I have the coaching search to look forward to. Hoping for Pitino, but I doubt that works out. A season that started out with final four aspirations sure went to hell.


The game I'm most looking forward to this week is Michigan St/Memphis. I'd love to see Memphis get drilled, also looking forward to Wiscy/Davidson as I really like Wiscy plus I'd like to see Curry play again, Flowers will probably do a decent job on him, hold him to under 30 at least, ha. Would love to see a Big Ten team get to the final four.

No comments: